Little Finishes

Finally got the rest of the steel pieces cut for the stand. 16 6″ angle braces to stiffen up the corners. I now have to grind and clean up all the edges on all the pieces. The next time Will and I get together, we will be finally welding.


I also managed to finish modding the CA reactor. The original design of the reactor had the return line from the re-circulation pump simply going to a hole at the top of the container. Most of the new reactors I see on the market have a PVC piece in the middle of the reactor that forces the water through the column of media. I decided it would be easy enough to make this change, so I did. I have one last mod to do on the reactor and that will be to add plumbing for the in-line pH probe.


Speaking of pH probes… I received my package from DFRobotics with my two professional grade probes in it. I was able to get them wired up and I put them into a test environment in the garage with the temp probe. You may have noticed the main page of the site now shows graphs for the last 24 hours. The Pi code has been updated to send the current stats to my web server every 5 minutes. I’m debating trying to write an Android app to pull down the raw data and format it into a pretty display for my phone.


Now that all of the electronics have been built, I can finish up the box housing the electronics and permanently wire a few things.

The new media for the RO/DI filter finally came in. I was able to get the filter mounted into an outside storage unit. Just need to add the tanks and plumb everything in now.


The live rock is still doing well in John’s tank. The bad thing is it looks like the rock does have some Aiptasia on it. I’ll have to deal with that after I get the tank cycled.